Monday, April 20, 2009

On The Other Side

As I sit down at my computer I hear the noise of the pouring rain, the cat‘s purrs as she tries to type my article and a song comes to mind. This song is about the other side. It was written by a brilliant songwriter whom I had the pleasure of meeting once. His lyrics and music have emotionally moved me on many occasions. Most of you might know him for his hits “Carry on My Wayward Son” and “Dust In The Wind”, but there are many other pieces of music he has written that tell the tale of a longing and desire to be one with God and his steps along the path. Following are the lyrics for “On The Other Side” by Kerry Livgren, formerly of the band Kansas:

(Verse 1)

The empty page before me now, the pen is in my hand

The words don't come so easy but I'm trying

I'm searching for a melody or some forgotten line

They can slip away from us so quickly

Don't be unkind I'm not complaining

I only feel it needs explaining

(Chorus)

Though I've said it all before I'll say it once again (one more time)

Everyone needs something to believe in

So turn around, turn around it's on the other side

Feel the sound, feel the sound, it's coming from deep inside

It will fill you with emotion, if you let it be your guide so

Turn around; turn around, it's on the other side

(Verse 2)

I'm waiting for the day to end another to begin

Somehow I've forgotten what it stood for

I look into your face and see the searching in your eyes

I will be your servant till the end

The music plays, and for a moment I feel

That all these days are so fulfilling

(Chorus)

(Verse 3)

Desperation shows its ugly face in many ways

No one can escape the times we live in

The answers are so simple and we all know where to look

But it's easier to just avoid the question

And if I seem too inconclusive

It's just because it's so elusive

(Chorus)

In verse one he faces the dilemma of every writer who stares at an empty page looking for inspiration. As a songwriter, I know how evanescent ideas can be. That’s why I have a personal digital recorder with me at all times to record my thoughts, ideas, melodies and lyrics. His statement next is so profound. “Everyone needs something to believe in.” How true. Can you imagine how droll life would be without believing in something? He then gives us all a clue how to activate beliefs by saying, ”Feel the sound, feel the sound, it's coming from deep inside, It will fill you with emotion, if you let it be your guide so, Turn around; turn around, it's on the other side.” The sound he is referring to is the still small voice of God. The voice that activates the wellspring of emotion deep within your being that drives you to actualize your desires.

In verse two he joys in the fact that his days are “so fulfilling.” He becomes lost in the sea of emotion that he is navigating while being in the flow of writing his music. He then mentions how the music plays and he hears what he has just been blessed with and feels a feeling of fulfillment. This is the process by which we are blessed with creativity. In the last verse he makes an integral social commentary about desperation. What is desperation? It is a state where you feel you have no hope and you must act immediately to solve a perceived problem. It is not focusing on the solution to the problem, but on the immediacy of the reacting to the problem. The 1979 album this song was released on was entitled, “Monolith.” It seems that the times Kerry is referring to are once again occurring now. However, being an optimist he responds with an analysis which is apropos to today, “The answers are so simple and we all know where to look, But it's easier to just avoid the question.”

Are you avoiding the question? Are we all? The songwriter points to the direction for the answer. It is the still small voice of God. Not the rules, social mores, religious tenets or the charisma of a speaker. It is the truth at the center of your being. God is there and will stir up your emotions to help you to manifest your desires. After all, he planted them there. He is responsible for making you who you are. You are responsible for doing something with it.

For more info: Download my free Wilmington Spirituality Examiner toolbar. “Life is a gift. Be thankful for it and it will be replete with abundance. Encourage others to express creativity, release negativity and embrace pro-activity." Dean A. Banks, MCIWD, DD can be reached at webproducer@hotmail.com or banksnet.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment